The Tessa Jowell Academy is the Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission’s free national learning and networking platform connecting NHS brain tumour centres to collaborate and share excellence in research, treatment and care – find out more.
Membership is completely free and open to all academic and NHS staff from brain tumour centres that have participated in the Centre of Excellence designation initiative (or an affiliated centre). We encourage all specialties that work with brain tumour patients to register, as the Academy aims to be holistic and address sharing expertise within and between specialty groups.
Please register with your academic, NHS or organisation affiliated email address. Personal email addresses will not be accepted. If you are not an employee of one of these organisations but interested in joining, please email here.
Terms and Conditions of Use
Last updated 03 February 2022
Table of Contents
1. Agreement to terms
2. Intellectual Property Rights
3. User Registration
a. User generated contributions
4. User Submissions
5. Prohibited Activities
7. Third-party Website and Content
a. Personal Information and Cookies
i. What is a cookie
ii. Managing cookies
b. Processing and retention of personal data
9. Modifications and Interruptions
11. Limitations of Liability
13. User Data
14. Electronic Communications
Site: The Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission website www.tessajowellbraincancermission.org and all it’s component pages including the Tessa Jowell Academy intranet platform as well as any other media form, media channel, mobile website or mobile application related, linked, or otherwise connected thereto (collectively, the “Site”).
Content: all intellectual property in the site and in the material published on it. All source code, databases, functionality, software, website designs, audio, video, text, photographs and graphics on the Site (collectively, the “Content”).
Features: all Site functionality and the associated services and communication which ensue from the use of the functionality. This includes, but is not limited to the Members Directory, Resources, Connect, Events, Clinical Trials, Impact and News features.
Members: Individuals signing up to the Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission website
1. Agreement to Terms
By using this website (“the Site”) you agree to the terms of this disclaimer. If you do not agree with the whole or any part of this disclaimer, please refrain from accessing, using and/or contributing to the site.
By using the Site you show that you understand and acknowledge that no legal relationship is created between you and The Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission, its officers, agents and/or employees (“TJBCM”) through your use of the Site.
We try to ensure that the Site functions properly and that the information on the Site is accurate. However, TJBCM provides the Site on an “as is” and “as available” basis, without representations or warranties of any kind. All warranties and representations, including, but not limited to, implied warranties and representations such as those relating to fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement, and those arising by statute or otherwise in law or from a course of dealing or usage in trade are expressly disclaimed. Without limitation to the foregoing, TJBCM gives no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy, completeness, currency, or reliability of any of the content or data found on the Site. TJBCM does not warrant or represent that the Site or its content is free of viruses, worms or other code that might be contaminating or destructive.
Any dealings you have with third parties via the Site are your responsibility.
The Site may contain links to other websites, resources and events (“Linked Sites”) that are not operated by TJBCM. TJBCM does not control the Linked Sites and is not responsible for their contents. Your access and use of the Linked Sites is carried out solely at your own risk.
The Site is intended for users who are at least 18 years old. Persons under the age of 18 are not permitted to use or register for the Site.
2. Intellectual Property Terms
Unless otherwise indicated, the Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property in the site and in the material published on it. All source code, databases, functionality, software, website designs, audio, video, text, photographs, and graphics on the Site (collectively, the “Content”) are owned or controlled by us or licensed to us.
Provided that you are eligible to use the Site, you are granted a limited license to access and use the Site and to download or print a copy of any portion of the Content to which you have properly gained access solely for your personal, non-commercial use, do not publish or post any port of the Downloaded Content on any other website, do you not publish or broadcast nay part of the Downloaded Content on nay other website. We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you in and to the Site, the Content and the Marks.
The Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission and that of any identified contributors as the authors of material on the site must always be acknowledged.
You may not modify the paper or digital copies of any material printed off or downloaded in any way without prior permission and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. You may not share information and / or screenshots from the Site to external groups without prior permission.
Any trademarks, service marks and logos displayed on the Site (the “Trademarks”) are registered and unregistered Trademarks of TJBCM and its partner organisations or its licensors and may not be used without TJBCM’s written permission.
3. User registration
If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current, or incomplete, we have the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Site (or any portion thereof).
By signing up to the site, you agree that your profile will be publicly associated with the centre you have indicated to be associated with on the registration page.
a) User generated contributions
The Site may invite you to chat, contribute to, or participate in blogs, message boards, online forums, and other functionality, and may provide you with the opportunity to create, submit, post, display, transmit, perform, publish, distribute, or broadcast content and materials to us or on the Site, including but not limited to text, writings, video, audio, photographs, graphics, comments, suggestions, or personal information or other material (collectively, “Contributions”). Contributions may be viewable by other users of the Site. As such, any Contributions you transmit may be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. When you create or make available any Contributions, you thereby represent and warrant that:
- The creation, distribution, transmission, public display, or performance, and the accessing, downloading, or copying of your Contributions do not and will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, or moral rights of any third party.
- You will not share other individuals comment’s outside of the Academy platform.
- Your Contributions are not false, inaccurate, or misleading.
- Your Contributions are not unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, pyramid schemes, chain letters, spam, mass mailings, or other forms of solicitation.
- Your Contributions are not obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, violent, harassing, libelous, slanderous, or otherwise objectionable (as determined by us).
- Your Contributions do not ridicule, mock, disparage, intimidate, or abuse anyone.
- Your Contributions are not used to harass or threaten (in the legal sense of those terms) any other person and to promote violence against a specific person or class of people.
- Your Contributions do not violate any applicable law, regulation, or rule.
- Your Contributions do not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party.
- Your Contributions do not violate any applicable law concerning child pornography, or otherwise intended to protect the health or well-being of minors.
- Your Contributions do not include any offensive comments that are connected to race, national origin, gender, sexual preference, or physical handicap.
- Your Contributions do not reveal sensitive or identifying patient information.
4. User content submissions
In submitting your Contributions to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to us an unrestricted, unlimited, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, fully-paid, worldwide right, and license to host, use, copy, reproduce, disclose, sell, resell, publish, broadcast, retitle, archive, store, cache, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, transmit, excerpt (in whole or in part), and distribute such Contributions (including, without limitation, your image and voice) for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such Contributions, and grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. The use and distribution may occur in any media formats and through any media channels.
This license will apply to any form, media, or technology now known or hereafter developed, and includes our use of your name, company name, as applicable, and any of the trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, and personal and commercial images you provide. You waive all moral rights in your Contributions, and you warrant that moral rights have not otherwise been asserted in your Contributions.
We do not assert any ownership over your Contributions. You retain full ownership of all your Contributions and any intellectual property rights, or other proprietary rights associated with your Contributions. We are not liable for any statements or representations in your Contributions (including any personal comments) provided by you in any area on the Site. You are solely responsible for your Contributions to the Site and you expressly agree to exonerate us from any and all responsibility and to refrain from any legal action against us regarding your Contributions.
We have the right, in our sole and absolute discretion, (1) to edit, redact, or otherwise change any Contributions; (2) to re-categorize any Contributions to place them in more appropriate locations on the Site; and (3) to pre-screen or delete any Contributions at any time and for any reason, without notice. We have no obligation to monitor your Contributions.
You acknowledge and agree that any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback, or other information regarding the Site (“Submissions”) provided by you to us are non-confidential and shall become our sole property. We shall own exclusive rights, including all intellectual property rights, and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use and dissemination of these Submissions for any lawful purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you. You hereby waive all moral rights to any such Submissions, and you hereby warrant that any such Submissions are original with you or that you have the right to submit such Submissions. You agree there shall be no recourse against us for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your Submissions. Please also note that you expressly aren’t allowed to share identifiable patient information at all in any submissions.
5. Prohibited Activities
You may not access or use the Site for any purpose other than that for which we make the Site available. The Site may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavours except those that are specifically endorsed or approved by us. As a user of the Site, you agree not to:
• Systematically retrieve data or other content from the Site to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database, or directory without written permission from us.
• Trick, defraud, or mislead us and other users, especially in any attempt to learn sensitive account information such as user passwords.
• Circumvent, disable, or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Site, including features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on the use of the Site and/or the Content contained therein.
• Disparage, tarnish, or otherwise harm, in our opinion, us and/or the Site.
• Use any information obtained from the Site in order to harass, abuse, or harm another person.
• Make improper use of our support services or submit false reports of abuse or misconduct.
• Use the Site in a manner inconsistent with any applicable laws or regulations.
• Engage in unauthorized framing of or linking to the Site.
• Upload or transmit (or attempt to upload or to transmit) viruses, Trojan horses, or other material, including excessive use of capital letters and spamming (continuous posting of repetitive text), that interferes with any party’s uninterrupted use and enjoyment of the Site or modifies, impairs, disrupts, alters, or interferes with the use, features, functions, operation, or maintenance of the Site.
• Engage in any automated use of the system, such as using scripts to send comments or messages, or using any data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools.
• Delete the copyright or other proprietary rights notice from any Content.
• Attempt to impersonate another user or person or use the username of another user.
• Upload or transmit (or attempt to upload or to transmit) any material that acts as a passive or active information collection or transmission mechanism, including without limitation, clear graphics interchange formats (“gifs”), 1×1 pixels, web bugs, cookies, or other similar devices (sometimes referred to as “spyware” or “passive collection mechanisms” or “pcms”).
• Interfere with, disrupt, or create an undue burden on the Site or the networks or services connected to the Site.
• Harass, annoy, intimidate, or threaten any of our employees or agents engaged in providing any portion of the Site to you.
• Attempt to bypass any measures of the Site designed to prevent or restrict access to the Site, or any portion of the Site.
• Except as permitted by applicable law, decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Site.
• Except as may be the result of standard search engine or Internet browser usage, use, launch, develop, or distribute any automated system, including without limitation, any spider, robot, cheat utility, scraper, or offline reader that accesses the Site, or using or launching any unauthorized script or other software.
• Use a buying agent or purchasing agent to make purchases on the Site.
• Make any unauthorized use of the Site, including collecting usernames and/or email addresses of users by electronic or other means for the purpose of sending unsolicited email, or creating user accounts by automated means or under false pretences.
• Use the Site as part of any effort to compete with us or otherwise use the Site and/or the Content for any revenue-generating endeavour or commercial enterprise.
• Use the Site to advertise or offer to sell goods and services.
• Sell or otherwise transfer your profile.
If you would like to unsubscribe from the site and revoke membership, you may choose to do this at any time by contacting us using the details below. The TJBCM will remove the member profile and all associated information but retains the right to keep any submitted content or public comments made on the platform using the comment feature and other information exchanged through form submission or email exchange. By unsubscribing, you will be removed from all previously signed-up to email lists and will no longer receive any information associated to the Academy or the TJBCM. Any email groups you have signed up to will need to be unsubscribed individually using the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of all emails.
7. Third-party Website and Content
Personal Information and Cookies
The Site does not collect or store personal information about individuals, except where you choose to give us information, either via the membership application process, or in online forms and emails you may send to TJBCM (such as using the Resources, Connect, Contact Us and Email list feature). On the site, membership application data or data that is gathered in forms or emails is used solely for the purpose of members’ login or requested features. Personal information may be available for viewing to other members through the Members page.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a text file that is stored on your computer or mobile device by a website that you access. It will contain some anonymous information such as a unique identifier and the site name and some digits and numbers. It allows a website to remember things like your preferences or what’s in your shopping basket.
Cookies do lots of different things, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, storing your preferences, and generally improving your experience of a website. Cookies make the interaction between you and the website faster and easier. They allow a website to identify that you are a new visitor every time you move to a new page on the site – for example, when you enter your login details and move to another page it won’t recognise you and it won’t be able to keep you logged in.
For more information about cookies and managing them, please visit aboutcookies.org.uk, which includes, information about how they can be disabled in most commonly used browsers. However you should be aware that disabling certain cookies may cause the website not to function properly
Please be advised the Site is hosted in the United Kingdom. If you access the Site from any other region of the world with laws or other requirements governing personal data collection, use, or disclosure that differ from applicable laws in the United Kingdom, then through your continued use of the Site, you are transferring your data to the United Kingdom, and you agree to have your data transferred to and processed in the United Kingdom.
Processing and retention of personal data
All personal data is processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the changes to data protection requirements introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), effective from 25 May 2018. We will not pass any of your personal data to outside organisations or individuals without your express consent.
TJBCM needs to collect and use certain types of information about people with whom it deals in order to operate. These includes current, past and prospective employees, members and others with whom it communications. In addition, it may occasionally be required by law to collect and use certain types of information of this kind to comply with the requirements of government departments for business data, for example. This personal information must be dealt with properly, however it is collected, recorded and used – whether on paper, in a computer or recorded on other material – and there are safeguards to ensure this in the Data Protection Act 1998 and GDPR.
TJBCM collects two types of data:
– Personal Data: this includes but is not limited to name, email address, job title, place of work
– Non-personal Data: IP addresses of visitors to the website; this information is collected using google analytics (click here more information on Google Analytics Cookie Usage) and user feedback. This is collected to generate certificates of attendance for courses and workshops using google forms and is covered under google general privacy policies.
We regard the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as very important to our work and to maintaining confidence between those with whom we deal and ourselves. We ensure that our organisation treats personal information lawfully and correctly. To this end, we fully endorse and adhere to the Principles of Data Protection, as enumerated in the Data Protection Act 1998 and GDPR. The TJBCM aims to, through appropriate management and strict application of criteria and control:
• Observe fully conditions regarding the fair collection and use of information
• Meet its legal obligations to specify the purposes for which the information is used
• Collect and process appropriate information, and only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements
• Ensure the quality of the information used
• Apply strict checks to determine the length of time information is held
• Ensure that the rights of people about whom information is held, are able to be fully exercised under the Act
• Take appropriate technical and organisational security measures to safeguard personal information
• Ensure that personal information is not transferred abroad without suitable safeguards
• Ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to safeguard any personal data that is processed on its behalf by other organisations.
• Ensure proper and thorough training of all staff involved in collecting personal information
• Ensure regular review and audit of the way personal information is managed
Secure Storage of Data
– Data is stored using password protection systems, and only authorised personally can access this data
– Members are responsible for keeping their own username and password details confidential; any breach of security through loss of confidentiality should be notified to the TJBCM
You have a right to know about the personal information the TJBCM holds about you (Subject Access Request), and to have your data corrected or deleted. Please address requests or queries about our data protection policies to the Data Protection Officer.
If you have any queries about the TJBCM Data Protection Policy contact firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Modifications and Interruptions
We reserve the right to change, modify, or remove the contents of the Site at any time or for any reason at our sole discretion without notice. However, we have no obligation to update any information on our Site. We also reserve the right to modify or discontinue all or part of the Site without notice at any time. We will not be liable to you or any third party for any modification, price change, suspension, or discontinuance of the Site.
There may be information on the Site that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies, or omissions, including descriptions, pricing, availability, and various other information. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions and to change or update the information on the Site at any time, without prior notice.
11. Limitations of Liability
This site is provided on an as-is and as-available basis. You agree that your use of the site and services will be at your sole risk. To the fullest extent permitted by law, we disclaim all warranties, express or implied, in connection with the site and your use thereof, including any related services. We make no warranties or representations about the accuracy or completeness of the site’s content or the content of any websites linked to the site and we will assume no liability or responsibility for any (1) errors, mistakes, or inaccuracies of content and materials, (2) personal injury or property damage, of any nature whatsoever, resulting from your access to and use of the site, (3) any unauthorised access to or use of personal information stored therein, (4) any interruption or cessation of transmission to or from the site, (5) any bugs, viruses, or the like which may be transmitted to or through the site by any third party, and/or (6) any errors or omissions in any content and materials or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the site. We do not warrant, endorse, guarantee, or assume responsibility for any product or service advertised or offered by a third party or hyperlinked website feature
The content and features (including events) within the site are based on submissions from its members, partner organisations and key stakeholders of the brain tumour community. The Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission cannot be held responsible for how people use the site, or for any damages they suffer as a result of the content or features.
13. User Data
We will maintain certain data that you transmit to the Site for the purpose of managing the performance of the Site, as well as data relating to your use of the Site. Although we perform regular routine backups of data, you are solely responsible for all data that you transmit or that relates to any activity you have undertaken using the Site. You agree that we shall have no liability to you for any loss or corruption of any such data, and you hereby waive any right of action against us arising from any such loss or corruption of such data.
14. Electronic Communications
Visiting the Site, sending us emails, monthly updates, signing up to events and completing online forms constitute electronic communications. You consent to receive electronic communications, and you agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications we provide to you electronically, via email and on the Site, satisfy any legal requirement that such communication be in writing. You hereby agree to the use of electronic signatures, contracts, and other records, and to electronic delivery of notices, policies, and newsletters (which can be opted out any time by emailing email@example.com) initiated or completed by us or via the site.
16. Contact Us
To resolve a complaint regarding the Site or to receive further information regarding use of the Site, please contact us at:
Tessa Jowell Brain Cancer Mission (TJBCM)
Unit 3, 42 Orchard Street, Highgate
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This service is for members who are looking for or wanting to provide professional guidance to someone within their community. Being a mentor within the Academy is a unique opportunity to shape a future leader. Once a member has signed up, they will be matched by the Academy team if a mentorship is suitable. This service is tailored to the individuals depending on their goals, with on-going support from the Academy team.
This service is for members who are looking for specific advice or expertise on a topic from a peer within the Academy. Members accessing the service will provide details on what they are after and the Academy team will match you to a peer, if one suitable is available. This match is an agreement between peers to exchange advice or collaborate, however it is aimed at being a short-term service.
This interactive course covers the fundamentals of all brain tumour specialties in 1-hour virtual sessions every 2-3 weeks. Aimed at neuro-oncology nurses and allied specialists, but open to all, each session will be hosted by an expert speaker, with plenty of opportunity for Q&As. This course will provide an exciting and comprehensive introduction to the various brain tumour specialties to benefit your daily role and to encourage a multidisciplinary way of working.
This interactive series covers the different elements of services provided by AHPs for brain tumour patients, with 1-hour sessions hosted every month. Aimed at Allied Health Professionals, such as Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Radiographers, Speech and Language Therapists and Psychologists, but open to all that are interested. Each session will be hosted by expert speakers from different centres, showcasing examples of excellence in services with plenty of opportunity for Q&As. The series aim to provide in-depth insight about different care pathways and patient outcome measures, in addition to networking opportunities.
The State of the Art Series is a soon to be launched discussion series focusing on the latest topics in brain tumour treatment and care and how to translate these into excellent clinical practice across the UK. This series has been developed by specialists and is aimed at all professionals working with brain tumour patients including Surgeons, Pathologists, Radiologists and Oncologists.
This service is for members who are looking to connect with their peers across the UK through National Network, facilitated centrally by the Academy. Members can submit information to their group, however we will aim to keep communications to a minimum to ensure relevancy. By ticking this box, you are consenting to be sent further information to opt-in to any of the Academy’s current groups (Nurses, AHPs, Clinical Trials and Therapeutic Radiographers). Members can opt-out at any time.
By ticking this box, you consent to receive communications directly related to the Tessa Jowell Academy. This includes communications such as a Monthly Newsletter with Academy updates, relevant features that might be of interest and more. You can opt-out at any time by emailing email@example.com